Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2011 reading round up

Here's another one I've been intending to post for awhile.

I read a lot. I've always thought it would be cool to do some book reviews on a few of the many books I devour, but I never seem to get around to it. In past years, I've found that I read so many books in a year and then look back and can barely remember which ones I read and liked, or disliked or found meh, so many books crammed into that little space I call "brain". So this past year I wrote down the title of each book as I finished it.

Just having a list is helpful for recalling the subject matter and quality content of the book. I also annotated my list with a number of stars beside each title.  From 0 to 5.

My scoring method is as follows.

 Five stars means the book was amazing; positively life-changing and inspiring. And zero meaning I either found the content of the book to be very bland, disturbing, or out right lousy. For everything in between, I generally gave at least one star if it had even one thought-provoking concept, or a well written character, good descriptions or interesting premise. Occasionally, a few of these in moderate goodness were enough to equal at least one star.

Here's the list of books I read last year, mostly fiction ranging from young adult fantasy to classics, and a few non-fiction

Books I have read in the year 2011, in basically the order I read them:
The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx - 4 stars
The Rag and Bone Shop by Robert Cormier - 0 stars
Starlighter by Bryan Davis - 2 stars
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut - 2 stars
Troubling A Star by Madeleine l'Engle - 0 stars
Woman: And intimate geography by Natalie Angier - 3 stars
The Book Without Words by Avi - 3 stars
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom - 5 stars
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt - 4 stars
Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix - 3 stars
The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow by Kaye Umansky - 4 stars
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 3 stars
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 2 stars
Magyk by Angie Sage - 3 stars
Flyte by Angie Sage - 2 stars
The Fisherman's Lady by George MacDonald - 3 stars
Silas Marner by George Eliot - 4 stars
Sorvay by Celia Rees - 0 stars
Beauty by Robin McKinley - 3 stars
Physik by Angie Sage - 2 stars
Persuasion by Jane Austen - 1 star
Starcrossed by Elizabeth Bunce - 4 stars
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - 3 stars
The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge - 2 stars
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - 4 stars
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson - 2 stars
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth Bunce - 4 stars
The Truth by Terry Pratchett - 3 stars
Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - 3 stars
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne- 3 stars
The Blue Castle by L.M Montgomery - 4 stars
Twilight by Stephanie Meyers - 1 star
Watership Down by Richard Adams - 4 stars
Turn of The Screw by Henry James - ?
Warrior by Bryan Davis - 1 star
Sarah's Daughter - 1 star
Serendipity Market - 1 star
Queste by Angie Sage - 2 stars
A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schiltz - 4 stars
The Aneid - 2 stars
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks - 3 stars
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt - 3 stars
The Girl With the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier - 3 stars
A Short History of Myth - 1 star
Enter Three Witches by Caroline Cooney - 2 stars
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien - 4 stars
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - 4 stars

Forty-seven books in all.

Forgive me that some titles do not have the author's name beside it, I neglected to write this detail into my list on occasion. If you have questions about any book in particular or want a review, please feel free to ask! I would be happy to have a good motivation to write a book review.

2 comments:

  1. Here are a few suggestions for 2012:
    For Young Adult/Teen books try
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (based on an idea by Siobhan Dowd, just in case it's not found under Ness)
    Okay for Now by Schmidt
    Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz
    For Adults - Fiction
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
    Beauty by Sherri S. Tepper
    Adult Non Fiction
    Glass Castle by Jeanette Wall
    Without A Map by Meredith Hall
    Bean Blossom Dreams: A City Family's Search for a Simple Country Life by Sallyann J. Murphey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...