Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Steampunk vest coat refashion

All right, one more post before the big Trip to the Keys. I meant to post this weeks ago but didn't get a chance to because of how busy I've been getting everything ready for going to Florida. Now, however, everything is packed and I am dressed and ready to go and now we just wait until it's time to actually get in the car and go! What a  nice feeling.

So, the matter of the vest coat. At least, I think that's what you would call this garment. It's like a coat but without sleeves, OR it's like a vest but really ultra long...Call it what you will, I found it at the thrift store for $2 and loved it.
Unfortunately, it wasn't my style. I could never wear this anywhere and feel confident in it, even if it did look good on me. So I decided it was refashion time. I needed to give to flair to this business-woman style coat thing.

 Thankfully, a little ribbon can go a long way for giving an item some flair....

And so can a bustle.  Yes. A bustle!

*hearts are floating around my head right now*  Now it's steampunk and I love it. And you better bet your buns that I wore this thing in public and will continue to do so whenever I can get away with it.

The first time I wore it was to a bell choir concert our friend was in. I paired it up with the blue shirt above, an a-line black skirt and some purple, blue and grey striped knee-high stockings. I felt awesome and I received a generous compliment from a girl who turned out to be a fellow steampunker. It gratifying to say the least. I've been wanting to sew a bustle onto one or two of my garments for a year or so now and I'm insanely pleased that I've finally done it. And it looks quite good, though I do say so myself! Now all I need is a pair of goggles and a dirigible!

Well, and a few more steampunk style pieces...This is only the beginning, my friends...

What do you think? Yay or Nay on bustles? Is steampunk your thing?

3 comments:

  1. It is the absolute best! What about with a white shirt? Love love the bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool! I'd wear it with a floor-length hoop-skirt-ish thing though, but I understand that's impractical and few people will actually own such a skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zom, thank you! I do have a really cool white ruffly shirt I could wear it with. I bet they'd look good together.

    Poet, a hoop skirt would be awesome, but, alas I do not own one...though once, when I was around 12 I sort of made one out of a hula hoop and a big sheet...All the same, impractical clothes are fine in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...